I have decided to base my exhibition piece around Alzheimer’s disease and how the disease effects the victim, breaking down of brain cells and the symptoms around it. Having witnessed Alzheimer’s take someones life myself, I feel very passionate about the cause and therefor would like to do my bit to help make people more aware.
Alzheimer’s is a type of Dementia, although people associate Dementia with old people this is not always the case. Figures show that it can develop in people under the age of 65, it can also develop silently for many years before any major symptoms appear.
Typical early symptoms of Alzheimer’s include:
- Regularly forgetting recent events, names and faces.
- Regularly misplacing items or putting them in odd places.
- Confusion about the time of day.
- Disorientation, especially away from your normal surroundings.
- Getting lost.
- Problems finding the right words.
- Reduced judgement, for example, being unaware of danger.
- Mood or behaviour problems such as apathy, irritability, or losing confidence.
Experience of Alzheimer’s disease
I have unfortunately experienced Alzheimer’s disease first hand and it is an awful disease, still incurable this disease is taking many loved ones lives and I would like to try and raise awareness even if it is only a small help.